Tuesday, January 13, 2009

RedHat reminds me of Microsoft.

Argh. I absolutely hate CentOS (and redhat). Due to job reasons, I needed to install CentOS 5.2 on a virtualbox VM.

Let me tell you - it's the most unfriendly Linux distribution I've *EVER* tested (yes, even more unfriendly than the first Ubuntu distros that appeared). I was expecting that with the advent of new Linux distros, the RedHat guys would learn something. Guess what? They didn't!

For starters, YOU DON'T KNOW THE ROOT PASSWORD. If you set up a user, the installation just assumes that you don't want to ever log in as root. So it doesn't ask you for the root password. Oh, gee! How am I going to install packages, huh? Ah, guess what, I should have told it to make a root user in the first place. Ugh. At least Ubuntu got it right (relatively) by letting you sudo.

This problem was "solved" by loggin in with a single-user, by entering the boot menu, pressing e, moving down, pressing e again, and adding a "1" (without the quotes) to the command, pressing enter, and "b" (note that I had to Search The Web to find out how to do this. Why don't they provide such a facility? What a user-unfriendly boot menu. So, I booted as root, typed passwd, entered my password, rebooted.
Alright, I can login as root now!

Then more problems arise. As I'm tired of the stupid mouse pointer getting caged in the VM, I wanted to install the VirtualBox additions. I got an error message that said: "/bin/sh: bad interpreter". Googling didn't work. I had to do /bin/sh VirtualBoxAdditionswhatever.run

Then it told me to install GCC because it wasn't installed.

Oh, great. OK, no problem.

apt-get install gcc

bash: apt-get: command not found.


What? No apt-get?

So I tried yum install apt-get, yum install apt, and nothing happened.

ARGH! Do I really have to stick with an awful package manager? Why don't they just face the fact that rpm SUCKS? Install apt, dammit! And synaptic now that we're at it. Oh, but that would be admitting that our package manager sucks, right? Right. This is why I say they remind me of Microsoft: They suffer a terrible case of the "NIHS" (Not Invented Here syndrome), so they throw at us all their proprietary - er... branded software and we have to stick with it. Why didn't they add apt in their damn repos?

So now I'm still trying to find a tutorial on how to install apt on RedHat. And still not succeeding.

I really don't know why RedHat supposedly "improved" on Debian. It's as if they had embraced and extended it, to stall development and make their users suffer with constant annoyances.

So, if you're gonna try a new distro, do yourself a favor. DO *NOT* try RedHat (or CentOS because it's the same thing). It's a piece of crap.

Update: Just what I needed. After installing synaptic, I couldn't install packages from the CentOS repository (E: Unknown signature /var/cache/apt/archives/gcc-c++-4.1.2-42.el5.i386.rpm: (SHA1) DSA sha1 md5 (GPG) NOT OK (MISSING KEYS: GPG#e8562897). After Googling, it turns out that the CentOS signing key does NOT come installed by default! (For security reasons, they say. WTF?)

Just in case you need it, here's the command:


rpm --import http://mirror.centos.org/centos/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-5


Sheesh. Fixing a broken registry in MS-Windows is much less frustrating than this.

No comments: