Thursday, December 18, 2008

Ubuntu Virtualbox problems.

I hate it! Since I installed Ubuntu I've had nothing but trouble.

Let me show you what my problem is: I need to install Virtualbox at the job to do some VM tests. My first choice was installing the newly-released 2.1 with support for OpenGL and whatnot.

The problem? Virtualbox 2.1 requires libqt-network >= 4.4.3. The one supported in my distro (Hardy) is 4.4.0.

So I needed to install an earlier version of Virtualbox. 1.5.6-OSE seemed fine to me. So I run it, and what happens? the vboxdrv module isn't present there. Alright, I browse the web and i find out I need to run /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup

* Usage: /etc/init.d/vboxdrv {start|stop|restart|status}

WTF? Where's the setup command? Whatever, I was told to "apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r`"

But guess what, my kernel version is 2.6.24-22-generic. And turns out the packages available DON'T cover 2.6.24-22, just up to 2.6.24-21.

Is it because I installed Hardy and not Intrepid? But Hardy was supposed to be supported until 2010, why is this happening?

In MEPIS I never had these problems. even with the annoying beta bugs. I could install and run Virtualbox in there with no hassle. I keep wondering why Ubuntu is so hyped as "the next big thing in Linux".

I I keep having these problems, I'll download and install debian.

Update:

It seems the problem will solved by adding the "proposed" packages to your repository options (I did it via synaptic). Now it will install the 2.6.24-23-generic kernel (let's hope we don't screw up).

Also, I found a post in the Ubuntu Hardy launchpad page regarding the 2.6.24-22 bug:


Steven Willis wrote on 2008-12-05:

It's even simpler than that:

sudo apt-get install virtualbox-ose-source
sudo module-assistant auto-install virtualbox-ose-source
sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv start

(the last step basically just loads the module with modprobe, but it also does a little bit of house keeping)

And you might only need to run the last two steps from above; according the the module-assistant man page:

"auto-install is followed by one or more packages desired for installation. It will run prepare to configure your system to build packages, get the package source, try to build it for the current kernel and install it."
Clem wrote on 2008-12-05: (permalink)

Thanks Steven, it works !


Let's see what happens after I finish installing this stuff.

No comments: